1 relating to or characteristic of animals of the class Amphibia [syn: amphibian]
2 operating or living on land and in water; "amphibious vehicles"; "amphibious operations"; "amphibious troops"; "frogs are amphibious animals" [ant: aquatic, terrestrial]
- Capable of functioning on land or in water.
- Occurring on both land and water.
- amphibious attack
Amphibious means able to use either land or water. In particular it may refer to:
- Amphibious warfare, warfare carried out on both land and water
- Amphibians, vertebrate animals of the Class Amphibia (many of which live on land and breed in water)
- Amphibious vehicle, a vehicle capable of being driven on both land and water
- Amphibious aircraft, an aircraft capable of landing on water
- Amphibious fish, fish that are able to leave water for extended periods of time
amphibious in Norwegian: Amfibisk
adaptable, adjustable, all-around, amalgamated, ambidextrous, ambiguous, ambivalent, blended, combined, complex, composite, compound, compounded, conglomerate, dappled, eclectic, equivocal, fifty-fifty, flexible, generally capable, half-and-half, heterogeneous, indiscriminate, intricate, ironic, jumbled, many-sided, medley, mingled, miscellaneous, mixed, motley, multifaceted, multinational, multiracial, patchy, pluralistic, promiscuous, resourceful, scrambled, supple, syncretic, thrown together, two-handed, varied, versatile